Size: 16.79 GB
What you’ll learn
- Why code is the key to building whatever you can imagine with WordPress
The ability to write PHP to manipulate the data of a WordPress site
- How to code your own new custom block types for the “Gutenberg” Block Editor
- The skills, knowledge and vocabulary to work professionally as a WordPress developer
- Basic WordPress knowledge (how to create a blog post, etc…)
- A basic understanding of HTML (e.g. “p” is for paragraph, “h1” is for headline, etc…)
- No CSS knowledge required (although it helps to understand that CSS is used to add style & design to a page)
DescriptionUnlock the full power of WordPress and go beyond “just a blog platform” by learning how to code completely custom WordPress powered sites. Updated for 2019: A new 3 part lesson on coding our own custom block type for the new “Gutenberg” Block Editor in WordPress.
- Install WordPress on your personal computer so you have a private playground copy of WordPress to practice and experiment with
- Get introduced to the PHP language (this is what powers WordPress)
- Set Up a New Theme (You’ll learn how to convert any HTML template into a living breathing WordPress theme)
- Create Custom Post Types and Custom Fields
- Relate pieces of content with each other (e.g. a professor and a program)
- Leverage the WP REST API
- Let visitors sign up for a basic account on our site
- Build a “My Notes” feature (user specific single page application with real-time CRUD actions)
- Let users “like” or “heart” a professor (update the professor’s like count on-the-fly)
- Deploy our website live up onto the web for the entire world to view
- And much more!
- Developers who want to use WordPress as a true Content Management System and not “just a blog platform.”
- People who want to learn about the “REST API” which allows us to interact with WordPress data on-the-fly in realtime.
- Anyone interested in custom post types, custom fields, and creating relationships between various content types.